This collection is the remainder of the library of the former Sheffield School of Art, which was fire-bombed in 1940. It represents the holdings of a typical art college library of that time.
Highlights of the collection include catalogues from the Great Exhibition of 1851, a number of volumes of engravings by Piranesi including Vedute di Roma and Carceri d'invenzione. A 1766 edition of George Stubbs' Anatomy of the horse, 138 plates from Eadweard Muybridge's Animal locomotion Published by the University of Pennsylvania, 1887. Sir William Dugdale's Monasticon Anglicanum and The History of St. Paul's Cathedral as well as publications by Palladio and Robert Adam. The oldest item, part of a Latin Dictionary, dates back to 1561.
Please see the Highlights tab for more.
The Adsetts Centre holds the archives of the Sheffield School of Art. It includes annual reports, prospectuses, student records, correspondence, photographs and examples of student work.
The learning centre has collected written material on former students; for example C. S. Jagger, Frederick Varley, Arthur Lismer, Omar Ramsden, Godfrey Sykes, John Hoyland and George Fullard.
Drawings of former student metalwork designs can be accessed here.
image from SHIMMER. © Sheffield Hallam University
2013 is the 170 year anniversary of the Sheffield School of Art. Established in 1843 as the Government School of Design, the School changed names and locations several times until becoming part of Sheffield Hallam University. The School now exists as Sheffield Insitute of Arts.