Skip to Main Content

Copyright: Public information

Government publications

Many Crown Copyright publications e.g Acts and Statutory Instruments may be reused under the Open Government Licence (OGL). Some Crown Copyright publications fall outside the OGL and authority is delegated to the government department producing the material. The National Archives website provides details of the organisations and publications covered by delegation of authority, where permission to reproduce must be obtained from the originating department. Parliamentary copyright covers works produced by the House of Commons and the House of Lords e.g Hansard, Bills and Select Committee Reports. They can be reproduced under the Open Parliament Licence.

Ordnance Survey (OS) maps

OS OpenData is part of the drive to make government public funded data more widely and freely available. Users may copy, distribute, adapt and exploit the data (including commercially) provided that full acknowledgement is given to the data source. Mapping data and the Licence agreement can be found on the OS OpenData website. 

In addition, the University has a subscription to Digimap, a digital mapping service based on selected Ordnance Survey map products. Access is restricted to registered authorised users and content may only be used for academic purposes. Go to the A-Z list of databases on Library Gateway to register to use Digimap.

Further information


These pages are intended to provide guidance to members of Sheffield Hallam University on matters of copyright and the copying of materials for learning, teaching and research at the University.  Whilst we have endeavoured to ensure the accuracy of these guidelines, they should not be construed as definitive legal opinion on such matters and should not be taken as legal advice.

Adsetts Library [map pdf]
Collegiate Library [map pdf]

Sheffield Hallam University
City Campus, Howard Street
Sheffield S1 1WB
Sheffield Hallam Library Signifier